This was my experience.
- Sign up to NowTV, Sky's pay-as-you-go monthly streaming service, in order to access the old series.
- Watch half of series 1 using Chromecast from Android app - it's a great experience.
- Enjoy it so much I fork out for a NowTV box, so I don't even need to cast. Brilliant. This is future.
- Sky's licensing window with HBO expires - all episodes disappear from Sky. I am bereft.
- Cannot find old GoT on any other streaming service in the UK.
- Purchase US VPN to access HBO-Go.
- Discover that in the US, you have to sign up via your "TV Provider" - as I live in the UK, my "TV provider" is a metal stick on my roof. It doesn't support oauth.
- Send an SOS out on Twitter for solutions. Nothing comes back.
- Give in, and download series 2 via BitTorrent. I've already spent about £40 just to watch 6 episodes of first series, so figure I'm owed something.
- Wait about four days for torrent to download.
- Watch downloads using Videostream chrome app and Chromecast - it too is brilliant, but feel guilty about my crime.
- Guilt takes control, eventually finding series 3 available on Blinkbox, from Tesco. This is ironic, given that I spent two years building Tesco's first streaming service, before it was folded into Blinkbox.
- Buy series 3.
- Find out that BlinkBox's Android app doesn't support casting, so have to watch from laptop. There's a terrible lag casting from a Silverlight app running in chrome, so I switch to mirroring via AppleTV. The Silverlight app threatens to melt my laptop.
- I've subscribed to two new services (NowTV and VPN).
- I've bought one new set-top box (NowTV).
- I've used a further two set-top boxes (Chromecast and AppleTV).
- I've used two separate device (laptop and tablet)
- I've downloaded two new apps (NowTV, Blinkbox, Videocast)
- I've used two further apps (TunnelBlick, uTorrent)
- I've broken various Terms of Service agreements
- I may even have broken the law?
It's a clusterf*ck.
Despite my best efforts, I wasn't fast enough - so although I have now finished series three, and series four is available via my NowTV subscription - the first three episodes have already expired. And because the series is still in progress, it's not available for streaming anywhere else.